Spring is here and summer is on the way, so it’s time to start making those fresh salads! We love a greek salad which is what I have made versions of this chickpea tomato and cucumber salad for years. However, I’ve never written down the recipe until now as it can be made in so many different ways.
Fast & Fresh
I think a fresh salad doesn’t always have to be just lettuce and ranch dressing. Salad can have many textures and vegetables, and a depth of flavor that will have you begging for seconds. One of the benefits of this recipe is that it can handle being stored in the fridge for several days. In fact the chickpea tomato and cucumber salad gets even better over time.
This salad is so simple it can be made right in your favorite wooden salad bowl or an easy to store container. We sometimes store ours in a mason jar, especially when food prepping for the week. We love pouring this salad over a hearty grain like farro, quinoa, couscous, or even brown rice. Other times, we like to throw a few Kalamata olives in and pour it over a bed of lettuce to make a delicious cool salad.
Start by washing your vegetables and peeling and chopping them. Drain the chickpeas (dry them if you prefer). Combine everything in a bowl or container, add the feta cheese and mix or shake it all up. Put all the Greek salad dressing ingredients in a mason jar, and then shake it to mix. Drizzle the dressing on top of the salad and stir or shake the dressing and salad mixture until combined.
Wow! The lemon and garlic in the dressing makes this salad so fresh and flavorful! One of the amazing things about it is the lemon in the dressing helps delay the browning of the avocado. I hope that you make this for your next meal or gathering!Print
Chickpea, Tomato, & Cucumber Salad
For the Salad
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, multi-colored preferred, halved
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 2 large avocados, peeled, cored and diced (ripe but semi-firm)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
Greek Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 large lemons, juiced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more (to taste)
- Pinch of pepper (to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a wooden bowl place the halved cherry tomatoes, rinsed chickpeas, cubed cucumbers, diced red onion, fresh parsley, and feta cheese.
- Prepare dressing by combining all (greek salad dressing) ingredients in a mason jar or container with lid and shake vigorously to combine.
- Pour the greek salad dressing over the top of ingredients in the bowl.
- Toss together lightly until combined.
- Add in the cubed avocado and mix lightly again.
- Serve and enjoy!
(Tip: Serve over a bed of lettuce, a warm bed of farro, couscous, quinoa or other grain of your choice.)