Simply Greek Salad
I’ve always loved a good salad – the fresh flavors and endless delicious toppings that you can incorporate in a variety of ways. To me there seems to be no bounds to what you can create.
Lately, I’ve really had cravings for Greek flavors. You know, those little pepperoncini peppers, salty chunks of feta cheese, and that briny olive flavor. There’s nothing like it! So I dove in and started creating my ideal Greek salad recipe.
A Greek salad is traditionally made with large slices of onion, tomato, feta, cucumbers, and green peppers and topped with olive oil, salt, pepper, and a sprinkle of oregano. In the US we’ve adapted the Greek salad, especially in the south, by putting a scoop of potato salad on top, which makes the salad very delicious. I wanted to come up with something flavorful and healthy like the traditional salad but made in an American kitchen. My husband loves a good Greek salad too so together we decided to make our Greek salad a little leaner but still with the same flavors of feta cheese and kalamata olives.
We started out by freshly washing crisp romaine lettuce and chopping it into bite size pieces. I know that a traditional Greek salad doesn’t use lettuce but a little extra fiber never hurt anyone, right? We first layered the serving dish with the lettuce, and then began to assemble the toppings of chopped hard boiled eggs, chopped tomatoes, feta cheese, kalamata olives, red onion, pepperoncini, and cucumbers.
The hard boiled eggs were our nod to southern American flavors. We could have topped the salad off with a dressing of choice, however, we created a delicious lemon oregano dressing that’s hard to beat! We’ve included the dressing recipe with the salad recipe below. The ingredients and flavor in the dressing makes this salad healthy but still yummy and indulgent!
This Greek salad is very simple and easy to put together, and takes no time at all. I’m very sure that you will enjoy it just as much as we do!Print
Simply Greek Salad
If you’re looking for a recipe thats simple, fresh, and full of flavor this is the salad for you! The display of ingredients on top of crisp romaine lettuce is both pleasing to the eye and on your taste buds. The mixture of flavors with the salty feta cheese and briney kalamata olives gives you everything a Greek salad has to offer.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- 2 hearts romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 english cucumber
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, whole or sliced
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 4 large pepperocini peppers, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- 1 cup (8oz) feta cheese crumbles
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh or dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For the hard boiled eggs: Fill a medium saucepan with water and add the four eggs.
- Bring water and eggs to a rolling boil. Then immediately turn off, cover, and set the saucepan to the side for 10-12 minutes.
- After 10-12 minutes, using a slotted spoon put the eggs directly in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Once eggs are cooled to the touch, peel and cut in halves or quarters.
- For the dressing: In a dressing container or mason jar combine the fresh lemon juice, olive oil, white wine vinegar, diced garlic, worchestershire sauce, oregano, salt, and pepper. Mix vigorously and set to the side.
- For the salad: In a large serving bowl add the prepared romaine hearts.
- Top the romaine with the sliced red onion, kalamata olives, cherry tomatoes, sliced pepperocini peppers, feta cheese crumbles, and hard boiled eggs.
Replace the worcestershire sauce for anchovy paste for a deeper richer dressing flavor.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 410
- Fat: 33 grams
- Carbohydrates: 12 grams
- Protein: 10 grams