Lemon Curry Lentil Stew
Save this dish for a cold or rainy day favorite. Lemon curry lentil stew is a delicious warm comforting stew that is not only packed with nutrients but with tons of flavor! Lentils are a great way of doing your body good with iron, fiber, calcium, and many other beneficial nutrients. Garnish with some fresh sour cream or a dollop of coconut cream to make it wonderfully vegan! Top with fresh lemon to make the flavors pop. Lentil stew is a very versatile dish and perfect for all types of diets.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- 5 stalks celery, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced (2 cups)
- 4 regular carrots, chopped (2 cups)
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups green or red lentils
- 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 7 1/2 cups unsalted chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 pinch indian or spanish saffron
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
Coconut Cream (vegan)
- Place the dried lentils in a colander or sieve and rinse under cold water. Drain and remove any shells or small stones you may see. Set the lentils to the side.
- Chop the carrots and celery. Dice the onion. Mince the garlic cloves.
- In a bowl place your chopped carrots and celery and diced onion and garlic. Combine with a spoon and set to the side
- In a large stockpot over medium heat add the olive oil.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic mixture to the stockpot and sauté until onions and celery just start to turn translucent in color. (about 10 minutes)
- Add the salt, pepper, italian seasoning, and curry powder to the stockpot. Combine mixture.
- Add the diced tomatoes, lentils, chicken or vegetable broth, water, lemon juice, and saffron to the stockpot. Stir until combined.
- Bring the stock pot to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with lemon wedges, dollop of sour or coconut cream, and cilantro.
- If you don’t like curry add cumin or chili powder instead. This makes more of a lentil chili.
- Add shredded chicken or ground turkey at the end for a delicious lentil meat stew.
- If you’re a coconut fan, substitute the water for coconut milk for a creamy coconut curry flavor.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 200
- Fat: 5 grams
- Carbohydrates: 26 grams
- Protein: 12 grams