Crispy Smashed Potatoes
We Love Potatoes!
One of our families favorite foods is potatoes. Growing up we consumed them in many different kinds of styles. For me I really enjoy a classic baked potato, which I think plays to my British heritage. My mother being from Colombia however prepares a similar dish called papas saladas (salted potato). My husband Kodi loves a good oven roasted potato with herbs and spices. Our children thoroughly enjoy french fries, potato wedges, and mashed potatoes. So, since we have a deep love for “spuds” in our family we figured creating another potato centered recipe that would keep you coming back for more. This is how the crispy smashed potato was born.
In creating this crispy smashed potato recipe, we decided to keep it simple yet flavorful. This dish is great for entertaining and easy preparation. It’s deep and rich in flavor but light on the pocketbook. The recipe incorporates all the best styles of other potato recipes into one. We love making this for holiday meals, family gatherings, and weekly meals. Crispy smashed potatoes are a rustic and versatile dish that will go with almost anything.
Crispy Smashed Potato Recipe
To start preheat your oven to 400℉. Then, rinse and clean about 3 pounds of baby yellow or red potatoes. Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil and add in the potatoes for about 15-20 minutes or until fork tender. The potatoes need to be fully cooked but not mushy or falling apart.
Coat the bottom of a sheet pan with extra virgin olive oil. Strain your baby potatoes and place on the oiled sheet pan. Now using the bottom of a metal measuring cup or ceramic mug smash each one of the potatoes. Keep them about 1/4 inch thick making sure you press down gently, still keeping the potato in tact.
On a cutting board de-stem and chop about 1/4 cup fresh rosemary and 6-8 cloves fresh garlic. Drizzle the top of the potatoes with extra virgin olive oil. Season with sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper, chopped rosemary, and garlic. You can also add red pepper flakes for extra spice if you desire. Place into the 400℉ oven for 25 minutes (rotating halfway). Depending on color place the broiler on high and roast the potatoes for another 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
These crispy smashed potatoes are best served warm and crispy right out of the oven. They will make the best side dish or pair perfectly with any of your favorite party dipping sauces. Try making for your next Thanksgiving or Christmas meal, it’s sure to be a huge crowd pleaser!Print
Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 3 pounds 1x
- 3 pounds baby yellow or red potatoes
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6–8 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons chopped rosemary
- 1–2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (if desired)
- Preheat the oven to 400℉ and coat the bottom of two baking sheets with 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil.
- Place 1 teaspoon salt and the cleaned baby potatoes into a pot with enough water to cover the potatoes by 1/2 to 1 inch.
- Bring to a boil and cook potatoes for 20 minutes or until fork tender.
- In a strainer drain the potatoes and place them on the oiled baking sheets.
- Using the back of a measuring cup or ceramic mug smash the potatoes down to about 1/4 inch in thickness. Make sure to use light and equal pressure when smashing.
- Using the remaining olive oil drizzle onto the smashed potatoes. Sprinkle the garlic, rosemary, salt, & black pepper onto the potatoes. (Add red pepper flakes if desired)
- Roast in the oven for 25 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through.
- Finish potatoes in the oven boiler setting on High for 3 minutes until crispy and golden brown in color.
- Add your favorite sauce, garnish, or serve as a side dish. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 4 potatoes
- Calories: 195 calories
- Sugar: 2 grams
- Sodium: 252 miligrams
- Fat: 4.3 grams
- Saturated Fat: 0.6 grams
- Carbohydrates: 35 grams
- Fiber: 3.7 grams
- Protein: 4.1 grams