Dreaming of chocolate, dark chocolate, and indulgent black moist chocolatey brownies? Well these are it! This is the epitome of chocolate heaven. We really LOVE chocolate in the Sells house! Have you ever craved chocolate? Haha, that’s a joke, of course you have. Well, these brownies are not for the faint of heart. Get ready to dive into the chocolate wonderland of flavor that these brownies entail!
This recipe is inspired by one ingredient: black cocoa powder. The color of these brownies is like an Oreo cookie – yes, a brownie that’s the color of an Oreo! Exciting, right? In our house we use black cocoa powder quite a bit. Black cocoa powder is super dark in color and full of nutrients and antioxidants. It is made that way by being extra Dutch processed. Dutch processing is a procedure where the cocoa beans are washed in an alkaline solution. Extra Dutch processed means that the cocoa beans are washed just a little bit more than the beans used in regular cocoa powder, causing the beautiful black color. The flavor of Dutch cocoa powder is more mild than regular. We tend to mix the Dutch cocoa powder with a 25% or 3-to-1 ratio of regular cocoa powder to keep that wonderful chocolatey depth of flavor.
The decision to use black cocoa powder versus regular cocoa powder in this recipe is just a creative, artistic decision. We also incorporate a really good semi-sweet chocolate chip, like Ghirardelli. If you’re looking for no sugar chocolate to use in any recipe, another great brand is Lily’s Stevia Chocolate Chips. If you’re into chewy, dense, and fudgy brownies like the ones you used to lick the batter off the spoon with your grandmother, then these Midnight Black Chocolate Brownies are it! They always turn out looking so good and are always moist, even if you accidentally overbake them. The deep black color makes this a highly unique dessert that you, your families, and guests will love! Who knows, maybe you’ll even establish a new family brownie making tradition.Print
Midnight Black Chocolate Brownies
If you’re a chocolate lover like we are, these brownies absolutely take the cake! They have the perfect crackly tops and are fudgy, moist, rich, and ooey-gooey centers. They are pieces of heaven! Made with black cocoa powder to give them a midnight color and are scattered throughout with Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 16 brownies 1x
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Lightly grease an 8×11 rectangle pan, line it with parchment paper, and then set to the side.
- Combine melted butter, oil, and granulated sugar together in a medium-sized bowl (or stand mixer). Whisk well for about 1-2 minutes, and then add the eggs and vanilla. Beat mixture 3-4 minutes until texture is fluffy and batter has turned lighter in color.
- In a seperate bowl sift the flour, black cocoa powder, regular cocoa powder, and salt.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined (do not over mix as this will affect the final texture of your brownies).
- Add the Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips, and then gently fold them into the batter. (Remember, only a few stirs.)
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes (until the center of the brownies no longer jiggle and the top is set to the touch.) Test with a toothpick (which should come out slightly dirty for fudgy brownies). Remember, the brownies will continue to cook in the hot pan once removed from the oven.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving.
If you’d like even fudgier textured brownies substitute half of the white granulated sugar for brown sugar.
- Serving Size: 2 brownies
- Calories: 342
- Fat: 10 grams
- Carbohydrates: 36 grams
- Protein: 2 grams