For the Cake Base:
- Position the rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350ºF.
- Prepare a 13×9 pan with butter or nonstick cooking spray. Set aside and have ready 3 mixing bowls.
- In a large bowl sift together the all purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In two separate bowls separate the egg yolks and egg whites.
- In the bowl with egg yolks add 3/4 cup of the sugar and beat mixture until it becomes light, fluffy, and pale yellow in color (about 1-2 minutes). Add in the milk, softened butter, and pure vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- In the bowl with egg whites add 1/4 cup of the sugar and beat on high until medium stiff peaks form (1-2 minutes). The mixture should be still slightly wet and not be dry.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture and combine gently with a spatula. Add 1/3 of the egg white mixture to the flour/egg yolk bowl and fold in gently. Repeat this step until all ingredients are combined into one bowl.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Spread mixture out evenly.
- Bake at 350ºF for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
For the Coconut Cream Filling:
- In a large mixing bowl or measuring cup add the crema de coco and sweetened condensed milk. Mix until combined.
- When the cake is fully cool pierce (stab) the cake surface all over with a fork. Slowly drizzle the cream mixture over the top of the cake.
- Set cake in the refrigerator for at least two hours to allow cream mixture to absorb entirely.
For the Whipped Topping:
- In a large mixing bowl pour in the heavy cream and sugar. Beat on high and add in pure vanilla extract. Keep beating on high until cream looks whipped, thick, and ready to spread (about 2 minutes).
- Spread the cream on top of the refrigerated cake.
Tip: Do not over beat cream as it can quickly turn to butter. If you start to see a yellowish color and clumping of cream you’ve gone too far!
For the Toasted Coconut:
- Preheat the oven to 350℉
- Spread the unsweetened shredded coconut on a large sheet pan in one even layer. Bake at 350℉ for 8-10 minutes stirring every 2 minutes until coconut turns brown.
- Remove from oven, transfer to a plate and allow to cool completely.
- Decorate your cake with the toasted coconut, fresh berries, or tropical fruit of your choice. Slice and enjoy!